skip navigation

Sharks Dominate Capitals in a Late Season Show Down

By AAA Winnipeg, 02/16/20, 7:00PM CST


Sharks Shut-out Capitals 10-0

On Saturday February 8th the Bantam 1 Sharks held a late season show down with the Central Plains Capitals.  This game would be one of the final chances for the Capitals to notch their first win of the season, but the Sharks seemed to have other plans for the way the game would go.  The Sharks exploded for goals early and often.  Liam Urciuoli opened up the scoring just over 5 minutes into the first period.  Just over a minute later, Daniel Tokriwski found the back of the Central Plains goal and made the score 2-0.  The Capitals seemed to wake up and start to get some chances of their own, however the Sharks next 3 goals came fast, and one after another.  The first goal came off the stick of Mason Dubberley followed by a goal from Brenan Melnic and the final goal of the period being scored by Logan Chartrand.  This made the score 5-0 heading into the second period.


Starting the second period down 5 goals, the Capitals needed to try and mount a comeback to make their way back into the game.  The Capitals were able to keep the Sharks off of the score sheet and create some chances until they took 2 penalties back to back.  The Sharks’ powerplay proved to be too much for them to hold off and Liam Urciuoli is able to score his second of the game on the powerplay making the score 6-0.  Just 3 minutes later, the Sharks are able to beat Capitals netminder Keaton Williams again for their 7th goal of the game.  The Capitals regained some of their early traction and hold the Sharks off of the game sheet for the remainder of the period and even earned a powerplay late in the period which would transfer into the third.  Heading into the third the score was 7-0 in favour of the Sharks.


Riding the power play into the third period, the Capitals looked to sneak one past the Sharks goalie River Leslie-Toogood.  The Sharks were able to stand their ground and keep the Capitals off the game sheet and continued their reign over them during the first half of the period.  Brandon Funk scored shortly after the penalty kill, raising the score to 8-0.  Hayden Chaloner would score a few minutes later followed by Funk’s second goal of the period making the score 10-0.  The 10-0 Sharks over the Capitals score would carry through to the end of the game.