skip navigation

Wild Shut out Bruins 4-0

By AAA Winnipeg, 12/24/19, 6:30PM CST


Wild Trump the Bruins in Final Game Before the Holiday Break

On December 22, the U17 Prep Wild hosted the Bruins at the IcePlex.  With this being the final meeting between the Bruins and Wild, there were plenty of family and friends in the stands.  The large crowd and being on home ice seemed to play into the favour of the Wild right from the start.  At the drop of the puck, the play made its way down to the Bruins end of the ice.  Peppering the Bruins goalie Scott Thompson with 21 shots, Thompson had to stand tall and hold his ground.  It wasn’t until there was less than 5 minutes remaining in the period that the Wild’s Tootoo Fotheringham was able to put the puck into the back of the net and open the scoring 1-0 for the Wild.  This would be the way the period would end.


With the Bruins being down a goal, they looked to rebound and try to even up the score in the game at a goal a piece.  The start of the second period brought a fierce push back from the Bruins that forced the Wild to hold their ground and weather the storm of the Bruins offence.  Wild goaltender Ido Shteinberg helped by shutting the door and turning aside all the Bruins chances, keeping the score 1-0.  Late in the period the Wild swung momentum in their favour and got their second goal of the game.  The goal came off the stick of Dylan Moon and the Wild ended the period doubled up 2-0 over the Bruins.


The Bruins sensing their time to even up the game was running out, tried to mount a comeback against the Wild, however they would come up short with the Wild striking again with just under 4 minutes left.  Mitch Aitken added to the Wild’s lead making it 3-0.  In a last-ditch effort to try and catch the Wild, the Bruins elected to pull their goalie.  Keeping the play hemmed in the Wild’s zone, the Bruins were able to create a plethora of chances, but none were able to find the back of the Wild’s net.  With 5 seconds left, Matthew Lizotte got an empty net goal to seal the deal ending the game with a final score of 4-0.